Tuesday, March 20, 2007

My lean-to...

When I am buffeted by confusion, distress and uncertainty...I remember the words of a saint who is my namesake, St Teresa of Avila...

(This is the English translation, but I first heard it in a form of a song in Spanish)

Let nothing disturb you,
Let nothing frighten you,
All things are passing:
God never changes.
Patience obtains to all things.
Whoever has God lacks nothing;
God alone suffices.

Solo Dios basta. God alone indeed suffices.

So I now run to the shelter of my lean-to...and leaning on Him find a respite from the storm within and without. There are times that we do not need to understand everything...what matters is that in the midst of it, I can find Him, my lean-to...

1 comment:

Fr Seán Coyle said...

The original Spanish:

Nada te turbe;
nada te espante;
todo se pasa;
Dios no se muda,
la paciencia
todo lo alcanza.
Quien a Dios tiene,
nada le falta.
Sólo Dios basta.

An Irish translation by Liam Prút, a contemporary Irish poet:

Ná lig d’aon rud cur as duit.
Ná lig d’aon rud eagla a chur ort.
Ní buan do nithe an tsaoil.
Ní athraíonn Dia.
Le foighne tá gach ní agat.
Ní bheidh aon rud d’uireasa
ar an té a bhfuil Dia aige.

Ní beag duit Dia ann féin.

(From the current issue of Timire an Chroí Naofa, a quarterly published by the Irish Jesuits.)

Father Seán Coyle