Sunday, August 09, 2009

Natapos din...

Today, we had BCBP's annual summer picnic. This time, Junby and I spearheaded the event and by God's grace, all went well -- the weather was perfect (sunny yet with enough breeze to cool everyone), there was enough food (with some left over to take home and feast upon for the next couple of days, and there was a good mix of old friends and new ones to make the day interesting.

It was a welcome change to be concerned over something other than the state of Therese's sleep patterns, the upkeep of my small home, and the number of things on my 'to do' list that remain 'to be done' rather than 'done'. Organizing the picnic brought me back to when I would organize events as part of my normal job description and I found myself reveling in knowing what needed to be done next. Quite unlike how my life has been the past months.

I have yet to find a training course for motherhood on the web :) It's a full-time job, 24/7, no vacation or sick leave available and the payment is through toothless smiles (for now), coos and gurgling laughter. I wouldn't have it any other way but it was good to be able to exercise some of the stuff I used to know and find that I can still do them quite competently after all, however much I think I am failing in my current job. :)

The day is drawing to a close. I thank God for His abiding grace and providence. Natapos din...I say that with relief and just a bit of regret, that what I had known how to do is now done and now I am back to learning how to be a mom. :)

3 comments:

Elizabeth Mahlou said...

Having raised seven children, I can assure you that no course on motherhood would ever be adequate. Unfortunately, one has to learn a lot through experience (and, if one is lucky, through the experience of friends, so that we avoid SOME of the mistakes that we otherwise might make). Enjoy motherhood -- it is a wonderful, learning experience.

MTFR said...

thanks Elizabeth :) I'm pretty thrilled to actually read a comment from someone who isn't family or in my immediate circle of influence :) Someone other than these people actually read my blog! :-o

I will take heed of your advice and I just ask the Lord to be merciful in helping my daughter and any other kids he blesses us with to deal with anything I mess up as I learn the art of 'mothering'. Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to give me encouragement :)

Elizabeth Mahlou said...

Kids are much more resilient than parents think. Thank God! Because we all make mistakes.