Saturday, July 08, 2006

Thoughts on a Saturday evening

I have learned over the years that the Lord tends to speak in the most mundane thing. Today was no exception.

Who knew that while having a pedicure the Lord can speak loud and clear? Leafing through a magazine while passing the time waiting for the afternoon session of my review class to begin and having my nails done, the words...BE BRAVE jumped from the pages of the magazine.

I knew that voice...its not an audible one, mind you, but after spending years honing my ears to the "voice of my heart" I knew it to be the Lord's. It struck a chord within me and I knew somehow what He meant. I am embarking on a new phase in my life, that of becoming a wife and hopefully down the road a mother. At times the prospect of being responsible for another person's life other than mine scares me. I can hardly run my life well, how much more being responsible for another? Yet...it is what the Lord has called me to. BE BRAVE...how apt.

What is bravery? It's synonymous to courage right? I find that being brave is not being without fear but deciding to press on despite the fear with the conviction that what is being pursued is more important than the fear.

I thought He was done for the day. I was wrong. He had something further up His sleeve. I attended the mass at the Carmelite Monastery. It turns out that today is the second day for their novena in preparation of the Feast of Mt. Carmel. The theme? Faith.

According to the priest, faith is about relationship more than just dogma and doctrine. What I liked from all that he said was that faith is believing that our Father is ultimately in control and he won't allow anything to happen to us.

Faith does not mean we cannot ask questions. Questions asked in sincerity are ways by which faith can be deepened. I like that. I have questions but I have learned to ask them in confidence seeing them as a way to be true to God and to myself. I'm sure He can take my questions. After all He is God so why would He be scared of questions from one of His children?

Faith is also God's gift therefore I do not need to have stronger faith as if it depended on me. What a relief to hear that. I just need to surrender. Easier said than done though. I think it's harder to yield than to fight. Must have something to do with pride....

So as the day draws to a close, I find myself reassured that the path I am on need not be walked alone. Be brave and have Faith. My Father in Heaven will see me through this one, same as He has done in the past.

Am I glad, God is on my side....Ciao

No comments: